Saturday, May 9, 2009

Kerrzy's Notebook: PED's and Heartbreak

So...not to get too personal on you folks, but I had my heart broken today.

Don't worry, I'll be fine...it's just...I don't know how much more of this I can take. Will I ever be able to find a baseball player to cheer for, without worrying that he'll soon be busted for using performance enhancing drugs?

Who doesn't remember being so jacked up about the season-long home run derby between Mark McGwire and "Slammin" Sammy Sosa? Both of those guys have since been accused of doping.

Barry Bonds eventually broke the home run record set by McGwire and went on to takeover the number one spot on the all-time homers list. But he's been the cocky, media-hating face of performance enhancing drugs for years now...

Alex Rodriguez became the youngest player to hit 500 homers last season, and I thought FINALLY - a clean ball player that is putting up crazy numbers! Not so fast. This year he joined the aforementioned group of juicers that can crank 'em out of the park.

Back to my heartbreak though -- on Thursday, Manny Ramirez was suspended for 50 games by the MLB for a positive drug test. Apparently it was HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin), a female fertility drug that a guy would apparently use to ease the side effects of going off of steroids.

So, it looks like this isn't a case of Man-Ram taking some random supplement that he didn't know was banned.

The poster boy for drugs in baseball, Mr. Jose Canseco (who was recently busted trying to bring this stuff over the border) told the AP that perhaps Ramirez went cold-turkey and "needed HCG to get his levels back to normal."

To wrap up - two things:

1. I'm sad to hear that Manny Ramirez got caught up in the dirty side of baseball. If his ol' buddy David Ortiz ever gets busted...I'm done with baseball.

2. Isn't it funny that if you're suspended for 50 games in the MLB, you only miss like two months?!

Listen to Kerrzy's tearful rant here:








No comments: