Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Kerrzy's Notebook: To Grunt or Not to Grunt

Wimbledon got underway this week, but not without a bit of controversy!

This comes courtesy of the BBC over in London:

Former Wimbledon champion-turned-commentator Michael Stich talked his way into a bit of trouble this weekend on the topic of...YOU GUESSED IT - the loud grunting of many of the game's top female athletes.

Seems like a normal thing to argue about, doesn't it?

Either way, the 40-year-old German says the noise 'detracted from the players 'sex appeal,' adding - and I quote - "Just play it back to the women. It sounds disgusting, ugly, unsexy!"

Wow! Obviously this guy is just out to stir up a little controversy. Some of the women DO grunt fairly loudly, but I think that's taking it a bit far!

As for Stich, he basically called the entire women's side of Wimbledon prostitutes, saying they are "just there to sell sex." That's pretty much the job description of a prostitute isn't it?

I think that's at LEAST a little bit harsh, don't you? Sure, some female tennis players are known more for their looks than their skill...but come on!

There's just something about the British media that I love! The article is almost as funny as the story itself in some parts. For example:

Former Wimbledon referee Alan Mills added that there was "nothing in the rules" to stop players grunting. Thanks for clearing that up!

It gets worse - although Stich this only jokingly. Stich says the only way of stopping the grunting from women was...to shoot them.

Of course! You can insert your own joke there!

Also...

On Monday, I was given the opportunity to host 630 CHED's Inside Sports and I featured this bit on the show.


You can listen to that here:



I was planning to do up a little blog about the process of going in for my first ever talk show experience, but I didn't get around to it. Here's a little rundown of how it went:

I talked to Oilers radio analyst Bob Stauffer about what the Oil might do at the upcoming NHL entry draft, which was a great conversation and still with hockey we also heard from E.J. McGuire, the director of NHL Central Scouting.

The middle hour of the show was all football - in the first half hour we heard from Edmonton Eskimos head coach Richie Hall and quarterback Ricky Ray. Then, Eskimos color guy Dave Campbell joined us over the phone (while he did his groceries, what a guy!) to talk about how the team is shaping up going into the regular season.

In the third hour (where I felt I was really hittin' my stride!) Derek Van Diest of the Edmonton Sun joined us to talk soccer, mainly the big game coming to Commonwealth Stadium this summer between Everton and River Plate. We had a good talk about some other topics in the world of soccer, including the unruly spending of some of Europe's bigger clubs.

To wrap things up, I had a member of Canada's national sledge hockey team join us to chat about the game and about the preparations heading into the 2010 Paralympics!

All in all it was a great time, I had a lot of fun and I hope I was able to entertain the masses!

If you'd like to have a listen to any of those interviews, you can do so by clicking HERE!

No comments: