Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Kerrzy's Notebook: Happy Canada Day!

You probably won't be surprised to hear that when I think about Canada Day I think of sports...

Not so much sports by themselves - I think about how sports band the country together in a way that nothing else does.

One of my most fond memories is visiting my grandpa while I was down in Calgary for hockey during the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. Yeah, yeah I know - how could it be a fond memory if I was in Calgary...but hear me out!

It was the Gold Medal game between Canada and the United States - I'm sure we all remember Canada winning 5-2 and capturing the top prize, Olympic Gold, for the first time in 50 years.

Trying to get out of Calgary that afternoon was almost as hard as trying not to tear up during the national anthem.

The streets were lined with people all cheering, honking their horns, high-fiving out of their car windows with complete strangers. It literally took me almost as long to drive home as it did to get out of the city, and it was something I'll really never forget.

So, when I think of Canada day I think of the things that bring us together, despite all of the things that pull us apart.

Whether it's Edmonton vs. Calgary, Tory vs. Liberal or any other rivalry that shapes our day-to-day lives, there are certain things that wipe all of those things away.

I think that's something that makes us special because that's not something you see everywhere around the world.

Happy Canada day (even if you're in Calgary)!

No comments: