Saturday, September 26, 2009

Kerrzy's Notebook: NFL Week Three Picks

When it comes to the game of football, I'm not an expert. Heck, I'm not really an expert about anything, but that doesn't stop me from dishing my opinions on whatever comes my way.

With that in mind, I'll be trying something new here on my blog. Every Friday, I'll try to give out my picks for the week's NFL action - granted, I'm a couple of weeks late in starting this up. So without further ado, here are my week three NFL picks:
Cleveland (0-2) @ Baltimore (2-0)

My pick: Baltimore

-The Browns have struggled big time out of the gate this season, not putting many points up on the board and turnovers have been key for them. Ray Lewis has been a monster so far this season and the Ravens won eight of ten at home. They'll win this one easily.

Washington (1-1) @ Detroit (0-2)

My pick: Washington

-If the Detroit Lions were going to shake that 19-game losing streak, the Redskins would be the team to do it against. Washington has only one offensive TD on the season so far, but the Lions have been equally as woeful. I think this one goes to Washington.

Jacksonville (0-2) @ Houston (1-1)

My pick: Jacksonville

-If the Jacksonville Jaguars can work the ground game, they'll find a way to beat the Texans, who are known for being inconsistent. Houston gave up a whopping 240 yards rushing in a win over Tennessee last week and the Jags are 15-4 since 2006 when rushing for over 150 yards in a game.

Atlanta (2-0) @ New England (1-1)

My pick: Atlanta

-The Pats couldn't contain the NY Jets defense last week and didn't look particularly good, and they could be without two key pieces on Sunday - wide receivers Wes Welker and Randy Moss. Tony Gonzalez and Michael Turner give Atlanta a serious threat in the air and on the ground, and I hate to say it - but I think they'll beat the 'struggling' Patriots.

Green Bay (1-1) @ St. Louis (0-2)

My pick: Green Bay

-The Rams lost to the Redskins (9-7) last week in a game that reminded me of a heavyweight boxing match where the two combatants just slugged away at each other for 12 rounds and St. Louis lost when it went to the scorecards. The Packers lost a close one to Cincinnati last week and I think if they can protect their QB better this week (Aaron Rodgers was sacked like five times), they'll come out on top.

NY Giants (2-0) @ Tampa Bay (0-2)

My pick: NY Giants

-The Tampa Bay defense has been suspect so far this season and while the Giants haven't been able to execute from the red zone, Eli Manning has made the big plays happen when they had to. Steve Smith and Mario Manningham have been huge for New York through two games, so look for them to eat up the second-worst defensive team in the NFL.

Tennessee (0-2) @ NY Jets (2-0)

My pick: Jets

-Despite exploding for almost 250 net rushing yards, the Titans lost a nail-biter last week to the Houston Texans, while the Jets backed up their trash talk, beating the Patriots. With that loss, the Titans fell to 0-2, so look for them to try and make a statement this week against the league's top defense. Jets rookie QB Mark Sanchez is having a great start to the season, lets see how long he can keep it up. Brett who?

KC (0-2) @ Philadelphia (1-1)

My pick: KC

-Matt Cassel has something to prove after a couple of costly interceptions in last week's 13-10 loss to the Raiders, so I'm picking them to come out on top in this game. Michael Vick likely won't start for the injury plagued Eagles, but I think there's a good chance he'll see some action. Kevin Kolb, starting in place of Donovan McNabb had a good first career start last week, but threw three INTs in a big time loss to New Orleans.

San Francisco (2-0) @ Minnesota (2-0)

My pick: Minnesota

-One of these teams will have to drop the undefeated tag from their names after this one - and if Adrian Peterson can continue to do what he's done in the first two weeks of the season it'll be the 49ers. Peterson is averaging 6.8 yards per carry and leads the league in overall rushing yards so it'll be up to him to dictate the outcome of this one. With Minnesota's defense not allowing a rushing TD yet through two weeks, it may be up to San Francisco QB Shaun Hill to win this game in the air if his club has any chance.

New Orleans (2-0) @ Buffalo (1-1)

My pick: New Orleans

-The Buffalo Bills will need Terrell Owens to stop dropping passes if they've got any chance against the high octane offence of the New Orleans Saints, who are averaging 46.5 points per game through the first two games of the season. The Bills will have to shore up their pass defense, which is second last in the league, if they have any hope of not getting dominated by Saints QB Drew Brees, who already has nine touchdown passes this season.

Chicago (1-1) @ Seattle (1-1)

My pick: Chicago

-The Bears are riding high after a win over the defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers and I think that’s going to continue into this week. The Seahawks could be without starting QB Matt Hasselbeck, who has a broken rib. Chicago running back Matt Forte is waiting to break out this season, and could do so against a Seattle team that gave up 256 net rushing yards against San Fran last week.

Pittsburgh (1-1) @ Cincinnati (1-1)

My pick: Cincinnati

-The Bengals have been in two tight games this season so far and so they’re on their toes heading into week three. The Steelers, who have already given up six sacks this season, should be wary of the Bengals pass rush, with Antwar Odom tallying five sacks last week against the Packers.

Denver (2-0) @ Oakland (1-1)

My pick: Denver

-Look for the Denver Broncos to continue their undefeated streak to start the season against Oakland, their first divisional test. Both these teams have had a tough time finding the end zone so far this season, but I’ll give the edge to Kyle Orton and the Broncos.

Miami (0-2) @ San Diego (1-1)

My pick: San Diego

-I was impressed with the Dolphins in their loss to the Colts last week, but Philip Rivers and the Chargers will take this one. They don’t have LT, but the Chargers will want to let the league know they can do it without him if they have to.

Indianapolis (2-0) @ Arizona (1-1)

My pick: Indianapolis

-Despite having barely any time on the ball last week, Peyton Manning was incredibly efficient in the Colts win over the Dolphins. The Colts put up 27 points in less than 15 minutes and Manning will likely have to continue that efficient play this week if they’re going to beat Kurt Warner and the Cardinals. This one will come down to how rested the Colts defense is.

Carolina (0-2) @ Dallas (1-1)

My pick: Dallas

-The Cowboys are averaging about 116 more net yards per game than the Carolina Panthers, who have struggled so far this season. Jake Delhomme risks losing his starting job for the Panthers if the downward spiral continues, so he’ll be playing desperate football. However, I think Dallas is too strong and they’ve got a sour taste in their mouth after a last-second loss to the Giants.

No comments: