Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Kerrzy’s Notebook: Only in Mexico

If you had to choose one word to describe a matador, what word would you choose?

Tough? Crazy? Cowardly? Remember, these are the guys that dress up and tease bulls by running around with a red cape and pulling it away just as the animal charges.

Personally, I would go with crazy, but I guess not all matadors are made equal.

Christian Hernandez made headlines in Mexico City on Sunday for running away from a bull at the famous Plaza Mexico and jumping over the wall of the bullfighting area. Hernandez seemed to have one of those “what the hell am I doing” moments as he pulled the cape away from the charging bull, kept running, dropped his cape and jumped to safety. What a sissy, eh?






Here’s what the 22-year-old, who took a bull’s horn in the leg a while ago, had to say afterward the embarrassing ordeal:

“There are some things you must be aware of about yourself. I didn’t have the ability, I didn’t have the balls. This is not my thing.”

I’m not sure how you make it that far into the process before realizing it’s not your “thing,” but to each his own I suppose. For me, I already know that bullfighting isn’t my thing and if I wasn’t sure, getting a horn in the leg probably would have cemented that stance for me.

To add insult to injury, Hernandez was arrested for breach of contract after running away, but was released after paying a fine (he was also sentenced to live in infamy as the man who ran away from an angry, aggressive bull).

I honestly can’t believe that bullfighting is even still around, but Christian – if you’re reading this – don’t be ashamed, I’d run away too!

No comments: