Thursday, September 2, 2010

Kerrzy's Notebook: Holiday Musings

Hey.

It’s been a little while since we last spoke – I’ve been on a little break from work and haven’t really been paying much attention to anything.

That said, a friend of mine from school is bringing me on board for a fun little sports-themed side project that includes a shout out to my blog…so I figured I’d better actually write something!

How could I not write this week though – being a guy who is known, at least in part, for his long and flowing locks – when I saw that a company has insured the hair of Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu.

Yes, Head and Shoulders are putting a $1-million policy on Polamalu’s flow, for ‘safety’ I suppose.

ESPN reports the insurance was obtained through Lloyd’s of London, but they say its unclear what has to happen to the 29-year-old’s hair for anyone to cash in. That’s got me thinking…I know I’m only in radio, but maybe I should put $20 or $30 down on my mop, just for the hell of it.

Incase you didn’t know of the H&S/Polamalu connection – here’s one of the pretty solid commercials they put out last year:


While we’re on the topic of the NFL – there was a funny story this week in Miami. Defensive end Kendall Langford lost a 2.5-carat diamond earring on the field during practice!

A bunch of his teammates tried to help find the piece of jewelry, which could be worth over $50,000, but to no avail.

Ouch! Not a good start to the season!

From football, to the other football now – where there’s been another victory for the vuvuzela-haters out there.

Remember the vuvuzela? That loud, annoying ‘stadium horn’ that everyone complained about during the World Cup in South Africa? As soon as the tournament ended we started seeing individual teams announce bans, even as far as a few NHL teams oddly enough…but things got serious this week for the old noisemaker.

UEFA has banned the vuvuzela at all of its competitions, which include Euro 2012 qualifiers, Champions League and Europa League games!

According to the BBC, the organization says the ‘instrument’ is out of place in the European game and would “completely change the atmosphere” in the stands – “drowning supporter emotions and detracting from the experience of the game.”

Sure, it was pretty annoying to hear the constant drone of the vuvuzela from the other side of a TV – but think about how loud and off-putting that would be in person! I’m quite certain that if the person sitting behind me at an Oilers game decided to blow his horn for a full 60 minutes, I would snap.

Perhaps it would add a certain je ne sais quoi to my sportscasts if I had someone tooting a vuvuzela in the background…I’ll run that by my bosses next week.

Having recently acquired one of these fine instruments (of destruction), I can tell you they make a great alarm clock for an unsuspecting member of your family!

While I’ve got your attention (if I still have it) – remember that potential super-fight between two of boxing’s biggest stars that was going to happen, was put off, looked like it might happen, was put off, and now seems like it’ll never happen?

Well, Filipino congressman Manny Pacquiao is still talking trash about Floyd Mayweather Jr., who seems to have disappeared after being quite vocal during the initial negotiations.

Pacquiao (51-3-2) says Mayweather (41-0) “needs” him and wonders what his real reason for not fighting him is.

At first, Pac-man wouldn’t agree to Olympic style blood testing, but in the months after the first round of negotiations his camp says it has basically agreed to everything to make the fight happen. Mayweather’s camp says no other negotiations took place, but the head of HBO Sports says he acted as a go-between for the two sides, and that talks did occur.

So it still appears that we won’t see the super-fight that would make people give a care about boxing again - who the heck knows what is really going on there behind closed doors.

All I know is Manny better watch out – his next fight is against a guy by the name of Antonio Margarito, who is just recently back from a one-year suspension for “loading” his gloves!

I more than likely won’t buy a boxing PPV or go out of my way to watch until it’s Pacquiao vs. Mayweather though…

No comments: