To me, the most effective advertising is funny advertising – and for a sports fan, what could be better than seeing some of your favorite athletes goofing off on TV?
Right now, the Troy Polamalu Head & Shoulders commercials are my favorite but there are lots of good ones out there. Take Easton hockey’s new spot, for example:
The ad for the Easton Synergy EQ50 stick features Montreal Canadiens forward Mike Cammalleri, who we learn is a bit of a “control freak,” at least when he thinks people are watching…
In honor of that video, I’ve searched the internet high and dry and I have compiled a list of ten (or so) of the best hockey commercials from over the years. Some of them are funny for the lines, some feature hilarious cameos from NHLers and some are just funny because they are so lame (you’ll know the one I’m talking about when you see it). Here they are, in no particular order:
1. While you might not agree with the partnership that the NHL has with NBC, this commercial, entitled “Road Trip,” is one of the classics and reminds me of countless hockey trips from back in the day. My favorite part? Breaking a lamp while playing mini-sticks – ask my parents about that one!
2. Nike had some great commercials in the 90’s where they chronicled the lives of ex-NHL goalies, and each guy held a grudge against a certain NHL superstar whether it was Sergei Fedorov, Jeremy Roenick, Rod Brind’Amour or Mats Sundin. This next video features a former Montreal Canadiens goalie who became a New York cab driver after Sundin exposed his weak stick hand.
Have you ever wondered what type of music Sundin listens to? I would also recommend checking out “The Bank Robbery” while you’re at it.
3. Sticking with the Nike hockey spots, this one was one of my favorites when I was younger. It’s not that funny, now that I think about it, but it definitely is awesome. In this commercial, Detroit Red Wings forward Sergei Fedorov skates through a mess of players from different teams and scores on a net guarded by about five goalies…
4. Hate them or love them, the Sedin twins have become such a force in the NHL that it’s impossible to ignore them – but that doesn’t mean you can’t make fun of them. Unless you’re a Canucks fan, chances are you’ve made some kind of joke about Daniel and Henrik Sedin, but the joke is on you because they can clearly laugh at themselves, as we see here:
5. One thing hockey has that you don’t really see in other sports is enforcers: a member of a team who basically fights for a living and keeps other players in line. Every sport has tough guys, but most of the time that isn’t their number one role. You know who else has enforcers? ESPN Sportscenter, apparently.
The thing I like most about this commercial is that the pizza guy actually looks like he’s taking a pounding! Oh, and the pirate in the background.
6. So, remember when I told you that when you saw the commercial that is funny because of how utterly lame it is, you’d know? Yeah…
Classic stuff, right?
7. This is a short one – but it really showcases the cultural diversity that we see in the NHL on a night-to-night basis. I always wonder about the guys who don’t speak english very well, that must be hard! It’s good to know that friendships can be crafted, despite language boundaries though:
8. When you look at a list of the greatest players to ever play the game, it’s pretty diverse. You’ve got guys who played with such finesse that they are unmatched, there are guys with raw talent but who also led with an almost frightening intensity, there are players who took care of things at both ends of the ice like no one before them and, of course, you’ve got goaltenders who simply couldn’t be beaten. Here, we see what happens when players from two of these categories squares off in a game of chess:
9. This next ad takes everything that is wrong with political smear campaigns and makes it awesome – Chicago Blackhawks teammates Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews launched “vote for me” spots before last year’s All-Star game, dissing each other in an effort to gain more votes. “When you pick your all-stars this season, pick Patrick Kane: a name that sounds like it’s spelled!”
Toews and Kane weren’t the only Blackhawks on the campaign trail that year either, check out Brian Campbell’s video dissing both of them!
10. Still on the All-Star tip, here’s another pretty funny “vote for me” video, this time from the LA Kings. Since we started with Cammalleri, it only seems fair to end with another funny video featuring him.
Got any funny hockey commercials that I missed? Post the links below!